Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fiery Flying Serpents and Past feeling

An interesting story in the Old Testament, that Nephi reminded Laman and Lemuel of, was that of the fiery flying serpents.  That even when the Lord send them forth to destroy the Israelites because of their wickedness, He also provided a way for them to be healed if they only "look" upon the pole that Moses had prepared. 

"...because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished."  (1Nep.17:41)

How hard was it for those who were dying to look upon the pole that Moses held?  Could they have been, like me at times, stubborn, prideful, rebellious and hardened their hearts to the will of God?  Nephi went on the chasten his brothers on vs. 45.  "Ye are swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God."  The older brothers from time to time, seen angels and heard the voice of the Lord, and yet, they still choose to be stubborn.  Then Nephi went on. "...but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words..."

I have traveled in the way of  "past feelings" many times in my life.  Just like that of the Israelites and Laman and Lemuel, I became unyielding in my ways, knowing very well that I am disobedient and wayward.   And yet, I continued and unrepentant at that.  Disregarding everything until I am constricted to repent and turn my ways around.  Those were always the most  miserable times of my life.  The down times for  there was no where and no one else to turn to, I could only find the Lord at the end of the spectrum.

So when the Lord commanded Nephi to build a ship.  Nephi only asked "Where do I find the ore to build the ship?"  He didn't ask why, what and how.  He only asked "where" for he already know that when the Lord gives us any commandments, He will always, always provide a way for us to accomplish them.  His ways are simple and easy.    He won't ask us for anything that is beyond our capacity to overcome and accomplish.  


No comments:

Post a Comment