Thursday, January 3, 2013

Nephi's Desires and a missing child

In previous studies I have come to understand the meaning of Lehi's dream.  They may be simple, but I'm trying to teach my children to grasp the significance of the dream so they themselves can understand it.  What forlorn feelings must have tormented Lehi when his two oldest sons refused to partake of the fruit.  He awaken very much weary and haunted with grief because he knew that if Laman and Lemuel did not repent, they will be cast off from the presence of the Lord.

He "exhort them then with all the feeling of a tender parent, that they would hearken his words, that perhaps the Lord would be merciful to them..."  (1Nep. 8:37)  Lehi did not refrain from teaching his children.  He understood his duties and responsibilities as a parent and a father.  He did not only teach his children the commandments of God, but he also taught them the history and the disperse of the Jews into captivity to Babylon.

Most importantly, Lehi taught them about the Savior Jesus Christ for he saw his birth in a vision.  That Jesus will be the Savior and Redeemer of the world.  He also spoke to his children about John the Baptist.  How he is the preparer of the way.  (1Nep. 10:7) He saw John the Baptist baptizing Jesus in Bethabara, beyond Jodan.  Then he saw the crucifixion of the Savior by the Jews.  Everything he saw, he taught to his children and Nephi desired to know every meaning of his father's dream. 

This Nephi, who was mighty in faith and in stature was always on the same page with his father.  On 1Nep. 10:19 "...he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round."

In the beginning of 1 Nep. 11, Nephi pondered heavily in his mind the things his father saw and he was desirous to know everything.  He believed that the Lord will manifest and make known to his everything his heart desired about Lehi's dream.  The following verses of this chapter tells about how Nephi's desires were all fulfilled because of his great faith. 

We were missing one child during our reading this morning because she has a habit of changing a hundred times before she goes off to school.  Tonite I will make sure she lays her clothes out yet I know even if she does this, she'll still be late because she's bipolar like that and will continue changing her mind in the morning no matter what.  Mahonrai, being the man that he is, is always on top of our morning reading.  I find that 8pm is a little late for evening reading.  Mahonrai tends to dose off swearing the following morning we ended on a different page.  I said "that's the place you were knocked out on".  He just smiled. 

Reading the scriptures rekindles my faith.  As we loose focus on what's important, our faith tend to weaken and fades in strength..  I find that I can be like Nephi and have that "unwavering" faith when I stay close every day to the Lord and put my trust in Him in everything.  There were many times before in my life when I have this immovable and blind faith and trust in God.  Those were my strongest moments.  Then there are times where I draw myself far from Him, due to poor choices and ill desires.  Focusing on material and carnal things of this world.  I pray that I will never ever turn away again from my source of living.  My God and Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment