Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Starting Over

For three days now we've miraculously, as a family, managed to read consistently for 15 minutes in the mornings.  I've decided that the best time to read is the morning where the mind is fresh and what better way for all of us to start the day.  I can't say exactly how many times through the past years we have struggled to finish the Book of Mormon.  I have finished it personally on my mission from cover to cover and even in high school.  But as a family, we've read and somehow get distracted and then start over and there it goes.

We've start over and over I think a thousand times already.  But each time I sit down with my children to read, I learn something new every single time.  It never cease to amaze me.  This book.  This gift that have been preserved to help me teach my children and soften their hearts.  I feel it whenever we read.  The magic it weaves through the hearts of my children.  They become more obedient and submissive to the things we tell them as parents. 

I've attempted to keep a personal journal on our reading but I find it easier to sit on the computer and type away.  Since I work from home, I can blog about our reading while I'm working. 

We're in the middle of 1Nep. Chap. 8.  Already the Lord has commanded Lehi to have them go back twice to Jerusalem.  First journey to obtain the brass plates from Laban.  Second, to persuade Ismael and his family to join them in their journey for the men needed wives.  As we read about the first journey back, I came to realize how critical and significant it is for Lehi and his family that the boys should go and obtain the Brass Plates.  These records helped him teach his children of  the will of God that has transpired through the ages. 

As always, I'm at awe at the faith that young Nephi had.  The love and respect he had for his father and how the Lord continually blessed him.  But I also keep wondering, why the heck didn't Lehi just shoo Laman and Lemuel to go back to Jerusalem and let them perish withe rest of the wicked people back there!  On the way back from the second journey, Nephi assured them that if the go back, they will perish with the rest and I guess that probably scared the daylights out of them. 

I conclude that like any normal parent, Lehi never wanted to loose Laman and Lemuel.  Like any normal parents, we'd never want to turn our back on our own children no matter how bad they become.  Like any normal parents, we will do whatever it takes, to help our children.   There was a Promised Land and Lehi wanted ALL his children, not just Nephi and Sam and his daughters.  No, he wanted all his children to get there.  Just like how Heavenly Father wants all of us, His children to return back home to Him and He is always there for us and never turns His back on us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment