Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Foundation

My scripture journey can be compared to a traveling Camel on a hot desert.  Slow and dry, but steady and sure.  It's funny how all my life I've always learned and know about Nephi.  My father read to us as young children, the story of Nephi and I can recall so clearly the power of faith my father had in the Book of Mormon.  This was his favorite story of all.  The story of Lehi and his children and it transposed to me as a young girl.  Just that,  I think I've always taken this story for granted as it is as old as time and I've heard it  over and over again everywhere.  I mean everywhere.  At church, school and home.

As I age, I came to appreciate Nephi more.  He was still very young at the commencement of the Book of Mormon.  His incredible courage to endure every affliction at such a young age.  The ordeals and events, so long ago, still so useful and significant, even down to this generation upon generation.  I'm in awe at Nephi's obedient, loyalty and faith.  His desires to know what his father Lehi saw in his dreams.  On our reading right now, we're on the chapter where the angel is showing him everything his father saw and also showing him the meaning of his father's dream. 

At a very young age, Nephi had to deal with two incredibly murmuring, disobedient and bully older brothers.  It must have been so difficult to have to deal with two grown and rebellious men.  A constant thorn at his side, yet he thrives in the midst of their hatred and aggressiveness towards him.    Truly Nephi is a hero.  The burdens of knowing his people will be annihilated must have been staggering because the angel showed him everything even the birth of the Messiah Jesus Christ.  His mission as well as His crucifixion.  He saw the Savior's visit to the Americas right after he rose from the dead. 

I can sense the children heeding their attention and listening ears when I read.  Leave it to me to make sure  we always have an intense and exciting reading session.  After we read we'd sing from the Primary songs that has to do with our reading.  "Nephi's Courage", "Keep the Commandments" and many more.  Even in youth they still remember the Primary songs that I've taught them when they were young.   That's comforting to know as a parent.  That they remember.  Just how I remember when my dad use to read to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment