Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The WOMEN

Most days, when we can, we read morning and evening.  But we are consistent with our reading in the morning.  6:30 every morning.  Last night we read up to Chapter 17 of 1Nep.  I have to stop constantly to make sure the kids are listening and not distracted with other things.  Especially the demon puppies we have in our house.  Also to explain things that they might not be able to understand.  It's always interesting to see how they react or what they know already concerning what is going on in the Book of Mormon.

For years now, (8 yrs) Lehi and his family have traveled and dwelled in the wilderness.   They suffered much afflictions as would be typical of anyone taking on such a journey.  I would imagine their women suffered the most because at this time, they were bearing children as they were journeying.  The Lord blessed them that they didn't have to cook much but made their raw meat sweet so they wouldn't get sick and that they'd have plenty  "suckling" to feed their babies.  The women became "strong, yea, even like unto the men; and they began to bear their journeyings without murmurings"   

I wondered about these women.  Had I been one of them, would I murmur too.  Hmmm?  May be and may be not.  In my own life now, I'd like to think I have bored my burdens and afflictions with much patience.  Not so much in a physical sense like these women of old.  But as a modern day woman, the Lord has blessed me with the strength and the will to endure and endure well.  With my husband been sick and unemployed for years, there were times I felt more like a struggling single mother trying to balance everything out by myself. 

But then the Lord have taught me over the years that I am not alone.  In my mind and heart He's always there to whisper to me  "Hey, I am always here with you.  All you need is to turn to me.  You don't have to do it alone!"  But sometimes, being a stubborn mule, I tend to complain and ask the same questions like the ones often seen in the Book of Mormon, "Why, why, why".   So as days grow into years, I'm finally realizing that it's useless trying to make sense of things.  That I needed to trust in the hands of a loving Father and be more submissive to his will.  As a child to a her loving parents.  That I needed to be more like NEPHI.  Completely submissive to the will of God.  This is why Nephi was able to bear everything the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him.

This year is different when reading the Book of Mormon.  I think it's because I'm not doing it just because it's the thing that has to be done.  I'm doing it because it's what my family needs to do now.  We're reading with much enthusiasm and a greater desire to absorb every little detail that can help us in our current journey as a family.  If there's a time that this needed to be done, it's now.   With so much chaos going on around the world, my children and my family needs to wax stronger in Lord.   And this book, this wonderful Book of Mormon teaches and inspires us of ways that we can have greater faith and trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. 

Before the end of the year last year, our family went in for tithing settlement.  Our bishop, (Tavake) was waiting for us in his office with so much excitement for the new year.  He's already set goals and plans for the ward members and we went over some of them.  Reading the Book of Mormon was one of them and  I think this also triggered the excitement I had to improve my family by setting the goal to be consistent in reading.  Bishop Tavake, this past Sunday, gave us a laminated schedule to mark our reading each and every day.  I don't think I've ever  been this excited to read the Book of Mormon.  So far so good. 






No comments:

Post a Comment